Summoned or not, the god will be there.
“It is a Delphic oracle, and it says yes, the god will be on the spot, but in what form? And to what purpose? ”
~ C.G. Jung (quoted from C.G. Jung Word and Image, edited by Aniela Jaffé)
Vocation and Discernment Groups
The Spirit and Purpose of this Group:
I am offering two groups – both bi-weekly/twice monthly facilitated support groups:
- The first is open to anyone who would like a space to re-examine their relationship to their work and sense of vocation in a dramatically changing environment.
- The second is open to psychotherapists, social workers, counselors, coaches, clergy engaged in pastoral counseling, death doulas, and others in aligned professions.
The intention of this group is to help members engage in ongoing discernment regarding the alignment of their psycho-spiritual values (whatever they may be), their vocational callings and their professional practice. Living out right-livelihood is a fluid process as needs of self and other and environment shift and change. The goal of this group is to encourage members to listen deeply to themselves while balancing supporting themselves financially and exerting “right effort” in a rapidly changing world.
Why do we do what we do? What are the hazards to ourselves and others? How do we integrate the “shadow” aspects of the profession? How do we promote justice in our practices and our professions? How should global crises – the pandemic, the rise of the extreme right, racial oppression and colonialism, and climate breakdown come into our work or transform our professional identities? What contains and holds us? What calls us, and what is our calling in a time of challenge and crisis?
This is not a psychotherapy group or a clinical supervision group, and confidential case information will not be shared. This is a facilitated support group and reflective space created to think about how our needs and callings are – or are not served – by our current professional practice. If discussions of religiosity or spirituality are offensive or annoying to you, or if you have a difficulty appreciating diverse spiritual perspectives this group will not be a good fit.
These groups welcome members of different professions, races/ethnicities, gender identities and socioeconomic realities, spiritual/religious beliefs and practice models. The expectation is that we come together to try to hold each other’s diverse experiences with mutual respect. This is a place to think not only about what you need from other helpers, but what you have to offer them.
- Vocational Discernment Group: open to all –
- Time: Alternate Thursdays at 5:30 pm Pacific, 6:30pm Mountain, 7:30pm Central, 8:30pm Eastern.
- This facilitated support group will be organized around a theme each week, and include a contemplative exercise.
- Duration: This group will meet for 75 minutes via Zoom.
- Dates: Starts August 26th, 2021 – (then meeting alternate weeks: 9/9, 9/23, 10/7, 10/21, 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, 12/16, 12/30 and 1/13, 1/27, 2/10, 2/24 & 3/10/2022 – subsequent dates TBD)
- Helping Professional/Therapist Vocation group: (This group is nearly full and accepting alternates for the waiting list, with a good chance of getting a spot.)
- Alternate Thursdays 4:00pm Pacific, 5:00pm Mountain, 6:00pm Central, 7:00pm Eastern. This process group will meet for 75 minutes via Zoom.
- Dates: Starts August 12th, 2021 – (then meeting alternate weeks: 8/26, 9/9, 9/23, 10/7, 10/21, 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, 12/16, 12/30 and 1/13, 1/27, 2/10, 2/24/2022 – subsequent dates TBD)
- Duration: 75 minutes each group, for a commitment of a minimum of 15 sessions, with the option of continuing on as the group feels led.
Membership: Group will be capped at 9 members.
Fees: The standard fee for these groups is $50 per session. Fee reductions are available for those in financial need. If you are experiencing financial hardship due to work transitions or other challenges, please do not hesitate to let me know what is affordable for you.
(Note: This is not a therapy group or a clinical supervision group. Costs will not be covered by your insurer.)
In order for me to make sure that members receive what they need from this group please copy, paste and answer this brief registration questionnaire below – and email your responses and any questions you may have to email@example.com
All answers will be confidential.
- What drew you to this group? What would you like to offer others? What would you like to receive?
- Please indicate if you are interested in the general group or the helping professionals group.
- What is your current work or vocation?
- Are you in psychotherapy? Do you participate or have regular access to consistent professional supervision? Does your therapist and or supervisor support your participation in this group?
- Do you have a regular meditation, prayer, creative, or contemplative practice? How does your work intersect with your spiritual or religious values?
- Do you have a regular practice that tends to your embodiment in some form?
- What are your current vocational goals?
- Have you ever had significant difficulties with voice hearing, psychosis, addiction or psychiatric hospitalization? If you have had difficulties or challenges in this area, how long ago and what/who are your current supports and disciplines that keep you grounded?
- Please let me know if you are in need of fee reduction. I am able to offer some fee reductions based on need, depending also upon the make-up of the group.
- What is your racial/ethnic and gender identity?
- Is there anything else that you would want me to know about you or your participation in this group?