I received my Master’s of Social Work from New York University in 1995, and a post-master’s Advanced Certificate in Clinical Social work from the same institution in 1999. I worked as a clinical social worker, a psychotherapist, a field instructor and a clinical supervisor for twenty-five years in New York City. In 2016 I was diagnosed with a unique, unstageable, un-prognosable cancer that transformed and reshaped my vocational goals, capacities and priorities. In 2019 I moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and now work as a mentor, teacher, writer, coach, psycho-spiritual director, and as a group and workshop facilitator.
I began this blog, What a Shrink Thinks, in 2011 as an online journal promoting general awareness and education and transparency about the complexities of the psychotherapeutic process. Since that time the focus of the essays here evolved towards explorations of archetpye and depth psychology, dream work, active imagination, and frank discussions of existential concerns and mortality.
Writing and Publications:
Articles and interviews on subjects including the study of dreams, white guilt, transracial adoption, pandemic grief, and living with cancer – written by myself or highlighting my work – are available on platforms such as:
I also have compiled two ebooks available for purchase.
I lead several online educational groups and workshops, these usually run several times a year, or take in new members at regular intervals:
- A class focused on working with dreams for creative and contemplative processes
- a workshop exploring death denial and death anxiety,
- a study group exploring depth psychology and mysticism
- a vocational discernment group for helping professionals.
Feel free to contact me if you are interested in joining any of these groups and workshops, and I will add you to the information/wait list.
I am available for workshops, trainings or presentations to organizations and small groups interested in these themes as well.
I am also in the process developing video versions of these workshops for those whose schedules or learning styles are better served by self-study at their own pace, so please check back here over the next 6 to 12 months if that is of interest.
Subscription Essay Series:
For those who prefer self-study, in addition to the content which is available publicly at this blog, The What a Shrink Thinks Seminar provides subscription content – two essays monthly – focused on Jungian and depth psychological readings about dreams and Jung’s seminars – to examine their practical application for therapeutic, creative and contemplative practice.
Over the past three decades I have enjoyed a generalist practice, with a wide variety of sub-specializations – my current practice focus includes:
- Working with several different communities of religious sisters – supporting candidates, novices, juniors and fully professed sisters.
- Mentoring and encouraging the professional development for therapists constitutes another third of my practice
- Coaching and peer counseling for those with life-limiting illness is another significant component of my individual practice.
- In 2017 I launched a dream collection project – The 45 Dreams Project- which involved collecting, sorting and analyzing over 3,000 dreams of our 45th President.
- I am a clinical consultant with the CEO Advisory Council of the Lymphoma Research Foundation
- I am enrolled as a student at The Living School at the Center for Action and Contemplation.
- I am a transracially adoptive parent, and regularly write and present in collaboration with adult adoptees on adoptive parenting. I have been a regular presenter at the annual Korean American Adoptee Adoptive Family Network/KAAN conference. I share projects/presentations I have co-authored at the intersection of race, adoption and parenting here.
To Support My Work:
I offer my writings for free in the public posts at this blog, and via my Twitter account @shrinkthinks – if you ever care to make a donation to support these writings, you will find a donation button at the top of the upper right margin of this page if you are on a large screen or at the bottom of the page if you are reading on your phone.
If you would like to know anything more about my work or my philosophical/clinical/spiritual stance – feel free to peruse the public essays and publication links posted here at this blog, at my Twitter feed @shrinkthinks
copyright © 2020 Martha Crawford